Thinking about trying Madness in the Meadow?

My first time trying out Madness in the Meadow is just that… madness!

I had never attended one of these non-traditional outdoor workout programs that CRI offers on Mondays and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

I went on Thursday afternoon, not knowing what to expect. I am moderately fit and so I thought I would give this program a whirl. I showed up at the RAC Pavillion and joined the group of others wanting a good workout.

Warm-ups consisted of two easy laps and a few dynamic stretches of butt kicks and toe touches. Concluded by EMOM (Every Minute on the Minute) sprints. We would run and rest in the span of one minute and then rest, the faster we ran the more rest we got.

I am not a runner, cardio and I are not friends. So those sprints were killer. It wasn’t a far distance that we had to run; so I was able to make it through but it was more challenging for me than it might have been for others.

After the sprints, the two instructors showed us the day’s actual workout. We would be doing two 12 minute AMRAPs (As Many Reps As Possible). The first AMRAP would be 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, and 20 overhead lunges. We would repeat that workout set as many times as we could within the 12 minute period.

My arms are not incredibly strong or muscular and I have never managed to do a pull-up in my entire life. Luckily, we had big bands that were wrapped around the bars that we could put our feet in to help pull us up to the bar. The band allows for participants to still perform the exercise, but in a modified way to build strength.

So by the time the first 12 minutes was over, I looked like I had just gotten out of the shower I was so sweaty from the combination of the heat and the exercise. But we still had one more AMRAP to go! So after a quick water break we began again. This AMRAP would be 12 medicine ball throws, 12 medicine ball rainbows, and 12 power snatches with an empty keg.

This one was slightly easier for me because since I do Olympic Weightlifting anyway, I was pretty decent at the keg snatches, and after learning my lesson the first AMRAP, I stuck to a pretty light weight for the medicine balls.

When the instructor finally called time, I was ready to head home. But instead, we had one more mini-workout before we were able to cool down. We partnered up, and while one partner did 12 burpees, the other had to hold a plank. I do not like burpees, they are the bane of my existence. But my partner and I powered through it.

Finally, at the end of class, we toned it down with a traditional cool down.

Madness in the Meadow was definitely an experience, and it was definitely a great workout. If I had to describe it, I would say it was just like outdoor Crossfit.

I will probably go again and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a different, yet intense, workout.

Share:

Posted in Fitness News, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , ,