Recreation Center COVID Resource Page
For university-wide information, please consult the Georgia Southern University COVID-19 Information page. It is important for your health to keep moving. For ideas, exercises and tips, check out our Virtual Resources page.
With your help in following the guidelines set forth, we are confident we will provide a quality and safe experience. View the guidelines below.
This plan is modeled from guidance and directives from the recreation industry, the University System of Georgia (USG) and the Georgia Department of Public Health and adapted where necessary for our facilities at Georgia Southern.
Face coverings are required by all individuals at all times (unless swimming in the pool) inside the facility in accordance with University System of Georgia (USG) policy.
What to Expect
What to Do Before you Come:
- If you’re not feeling well or are experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19 such as cough, shortness of breath, or fever please stay home.
- There will be limited locker availability so only bring what is NECESSARY.
- Water fountains are disabled so please bring a refillable water bottle.
- Exercise intensity may be reduced while wearing your mask. Start slow and increase intensity as you acclimate. Take frequent breaks and stay hydrated.
Screening will be required before patrons scan/swipe into the facility. You will complete a brief survey in the LiveSafe app or accessed via a QR code in the lobby, followed by a non-contact forehead temperature scan. If you fail either, you will not be allowed entry. The screening station will be located at the Freshens desk on the East side of the lobby.
- You will be asked a series of “Yes” or “No” questions before being allowed to enter.
- If you do not pass the questionnaire (signified with a red “X” upon completion), you will be asked to leave. If you receive a green checkmark, you will proceed to the temperature check station.
- Temperatures will be checked with a non-contact forehead thermometer and anyone scanning over 100.4F will be asked to leave the facility.
- If you are not allowed entry into the facility, please refer to the Georgia Southern COVID web page, go home and seek medical care if necessary.
What to Expect When Arriving:
- We will have controlled entry and exit points at the front entrance of the facility. Please follow all directional signage when entering and exiting the building.
- The Iris Scanners will be available to scan into the RAC and we encourage you to not touch both the camera and the turnstile while entering. The option to self-scan your Eagle ID will also be available to ensure limited contact entry.
- Equipment and spaces will be modified to meet state and local social distancing measures. Please note various signage, floor markings, traffic patterns, equipment modifications and respect these new measures.
- Campus Recreation staff will be around often to sanitize equipment between use and ask for your patience during this process. A clean/do not use card indication system will be used on all stationary equipment that will be strictly enforced to ensure safety.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided for you to use throughout the facility and we encourage you to wash your hands frequently.
Occupancy levels are determined by the space and managed by the staff on shift.
- Indoor Pool & Deck Total: 46
- Indoor Pool: 22
- Indoor Pool Deck: 24
- Outdoor Pool & Deck Total: 25
- Machine Weights: 25
- Free Weights: 30
- Cardio Deck: 45
- Indoor Track: 15
- Aquatic Locker Rooms: 10/locker room
- Family Locker Room: 2
- Lobby: 20
- 2 Court and Main Gym: 2 people per goal per court (each person must have own basketball)
- Racquetball Courts 1-4: 1 person per court
What Amenities are Available
- Free/Machine weights available on daily rotation
- Cardio Deck
- Basketball Courts (2 people per hoop per court)
- Racquetball Courts (1 person per court)
- Competition and Leisure Pools
- Aquatics bathrooms
- Indoor Track(walking only, middle lane is closed)
What Amenities are Not Available
- Combatives and Dance Studio
- Group Fitness Studios/Classes
- Sauna, Indoor, and Outdoor Whirlpool
- Climbing Wall/Bouldering Cave/Rental Center
- MAC Gym, 2 Court Gym, Auxiliary Gym
The following equipment will be available for checkout and sanitized after each use:
- Racquetball equipment
- Lifting belts/straps
- Jump ropes
MC Anderson Park
Walking trails and turf fields will be open for activity. Restroom facilities will continue to remain closed at the Pavilion and Grounds Building. The CRIBB facilities will remain open. The outdoor basketball and volleyball courts will remain closed. Per the Governor’s order, gatherings of more than 50 people without social distancing will be prohibited.
Hand Sanitizer Stations are currently stationed throughout the facility and will be supplemented with hand-pump jugs on each counter in the fitness center and front desk.
Hand Dryers: Electronic hand dryers will be taken offline (CDC guidance).
Water Fountains: Only the bottle filling stations will be operational. The water fountain spigots will be taken offline.
Germ Shields: Plexiglass guards are installed at all service counters.
High-touch areas will be cleaned frequently: entrance/exit door handles, turnstiles, entry/exit gates, front desk counters.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are members and guests required to wear a mask at all times?
Members and guests are required to wear a mask while inside the facility in accordance with University System of Georgia policy. This includes upon entering and exiting the facility, working out, etc. The only time masks are not required is while you are swimming in the pool.
What is CRI doing to keep patrons safe?
Your health and safety is our #1 priority, and we’re committed to keeping our facilities clean and safe. We’ve always had extremely high cleanliness and sanitization standards in place. Our team conducts regular and thorough cleaning of all equipment, surfaces and areas in our facilities and regularly complete deep cleanings. Although we cannot eliminate all risks associated with COVID-19, we’ve taken several additional steps to strengthen our existing cleanliness policies and procedures to help keep you and our team members safe.
Will I still be able to bring a guest?
Yes, we will still be selling guest passes. Guest passes are available at member services for $7 per day. Guests MUST be accompanied by their host, and only one guest per member is allowed.
Last updated: 8/2/2020