- Access & Storage
- User Authorization
- Group Participation
- Disciplinary Processes
- Cancellation Policy
Since the Shooting Sports Education Center is located on university property, it is unlawful for anyone to bring a firearm or a bow into the facility without prior authorization or arrangement. Individuals attending the facility to seek authorization as a user of the facility should not bring their firearm or bow.
The following age restrictions are in place in addition to User Authorization:
- Firing Range: Individuals must be 10 years or older to utilize the firing range. Individuals age 10 – 17 must be accompanied (within arms reach) by an adult who is an “Approved User” or an “Approved User – Firearms”. In addition, the individual must have written permission from a parent or guardian to use a handgun.
- Archery Center: Individuals must be 7 years or older to use the archery center. Individuals age 7 – 14 must be accompanied (present in Archery Center) by an adult.
This policy is for Approved Users to store their personal firearm and/or bow at the Shooting Sports Education Center (SSEC).
Approved Users of the SSEC.
- The firearm/bow to be stored at the SSEC must have a legible serial number.
- The User must fully complete, agree to and sign the established storage agreement. (See storage agreement for more details).
- The term of the storage agreement will be limited to one semester.
- The end of the storage term will be the day prior to the next semester starting.
- The storage fee will not be prorated for the semester.
- The firearm/bow must be brought to the SSEC in a case. The firearm case will not be stored at the SSEC. Bows will be stored in their case.
- Anytime a firearm will be leaving the facility, the User must bring in their case to remove it.
- The User must provide a lock for the firearm either inserted into the chamber and the magazine well or on the trigger. The User must keep the key. A key will not be kept by the SSEC.
- The User must provide a lock for the bow case. The User must keep the key. A key will not be kept by the SSEC.
- Ammunition will be stored in an approved & locked ammunition container if the User is storing their firearm. The case must be clearly labeled. A User will be limited to 2 approved ammunition containers.
- The User must sign the storage log each time they get their firearm/bow in or out of SSEC storage.
- Only the User(s) whose name appears on the storage agreement will be allowed to secure the firearm/bow.
- If siblings are storing a firearm/bow which they may all utilize, all names must appear on the agreement with each person’s information and signature.
- The User may only check in/out their firearm/bow during SSEC posted operational hours.
- The User may store no more than 5 firearms and/or bows for the established storage fee.
- The User must sign at the completion or upon termination of the storage agreement which indicates the firearm/bow has been permanently removed from the SSEC.
Group Participation Policy
To appropriately serve individuals seeking to participate at the SSEC as a group (minimum of 5 persons), the following criteria must be met:
- Submit A Reservation Request Form (Two weeks in advance recommended)
- Have a designated person of responsibility for the group.
- Receive a reservation confirmation from the SSEC.
- Each individual of the group must complete a personal data form and shooting questionnaire.
- Each individual of the group must complete and sign a liability waiver.
- Watch a SSEC Range Safety and Operating Procedures Video.
- Have an SSEC Range Safety Officer assigned to the group during the entirety of the reservation.
- The SSEC director will determine if additional staff or instruction is necessary based on the composition of the group and the desired activity.
Firearm Related Policies
- Long gun ammunition may only be sold to individuals age 18 and older.
- Handgun ammunition may only be sold to individuals 21 or older.
- Individuals age 18-21 may rent a handgun with ammunition. Unused ammunition must be returned to the SSEC.
- Individuals under the age of 18 may rent a handgun with ammunition with the prior written consent of a parent or guardian. Furthermore, the written consent must be in the person’s possession at all times and the parent or guardian giving the written consent may not be prohibited by law from possessing firearms. Individuals under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult to utilize the SSEC firearms range.
- After the incident occurs and the incident report has been filed the Assistant Director will suspend the pass of the individual involved.
- Assistant Director will set up a meeting with the individual involved, communication will be sent via email for said meeting.
- Notice of the decision will be made via typed response on letter head to home of record.
- The individual has 2 weeks from date of letter to appeal the decision in writing to the Director of the SSEC.
- Final decision will be made by the Director of the SSEC in writing and is final.
The Shooting Sports Education Center has a limited number of spaces available per program. If you have a registration and need to cancel, please contact us 24 hours in advance of the scheduled course start time.
Properly cancelled registrations may be rolled over to the next available program start date and time. Should you not properly cancel your registration, your enrollment will be considered a ‘No Show’, and your registration will be cancelled without a refund.
Cancellations after the 24 hour period will not be refunded.
Last updated: 1/8/2018