Scheduled Skills Clinics
Southern Adventures offers a number of clinics aimed at providing students with the skills and knowledge to engage a variety of outdoor pursuits. They are offered at no charge to RAC members. Each clinic is held in the Southern Adventures Center unless otherwise noted. Pre-registration is highly recommended because our clinics are capped for an ideal student to teacher ratio. Walk-up registration is possible, but will not guarantee your enrollment.
Pre-register by stopping by the Southern Adventures Center during our open hours or by calling 912-478-7227.
Fall 2019 Schedule
|Aug. 22||Bike Maintenance 101|
|Aug. 28||Basic Climbing|
|Sept. 10||Basic Climbing|
|Sept. 18||Basic Sea Kayaking|
|Sept. 24||Backcountry Cooking|
|Oct. 7||Advanced Climbing|
|Oct. 22||Whitewater Kayak Roll|
Custom Skills Clinics
Can’t make it to one of our scheduled clinics? A group of 4 or more patrons can request to schedule one of our clinics for a specific date and time (see clinic descriptions below). Fill out the following form to request a custom clinic today.
Basic Climbing (3 hours)
The Basic Climbing Clinic is designed for participants to get a comprehensive introduction to the history of rock climbing, basic climbing moves, and top rope belay technique. This clinic consists of roughly one hour instruction and two hours of practical at our indoor climbing wall. Participants will need to pass a written and practical test to be able to be able to top rope belay at the RAC climbing wall. Belay trainings need to be renewed every semester.
Advanced Climbing (3 hours)
The Advanced Climbing Clinic is designed to build upon the skills developed in the Basic Climbing Clinic. Participants must have taken a Basic Climbing Clinic at least 30 days prior to registering for the Advanced Clinic, as well as demonstrated intentional development of top rope climbing skill. All participants will be required to demonstrate the ability to climb 5.8 on top rope without falling in order to complete the clinic. Clinic topics will review advanced climbing technique, physical training for climbing, and lead belay technique.
Rappelling (3 hours)
The Rappelling Clinic is designed to introduce participants to single line rappel technique on our outdoor rappelling tower. This clinic is good for those who have already completed either the Basic or Advanced Climbing Clinic, though neither are required as prerequisites to attend.
Basic Kayaking (2 hours)
Participants will be introduced to the knowledge and skills necessary to confidently use sea kayaks in non-technical waters. The clinic will include learning how to safely enter and exit your boat, perform solo and partner rescues; understand nautical terminology; learn about tides and other environmental considerations and perform basic paddle strokes.
Advanced Kayaking (3 hours)
This clinic will build on the information and skills introduced in the Basic Kayaking clinic. Paddling skills will be practiced and refined; Nautical travel and environmental conditions will discussed more in depth; Kayak rolling will be introduced and practiced. A basic kayaking clinic must be attended prior to registering for the advanced clinic.
Bicycle Maintenance 101 (2 hours)
This clinic will show participants how to properly perform basic bicycle maintenance and tune ups. Patrons will learn how to diagnose the source of a flat tire, change tubes as well as understand all of the primary bicycle components and their functions.
Backcountry Cooking (2 hours)
In this clinic you will learn how to prepare hot meals in a backcountry setting. You will be taught how properly use an MSR whisperlite stove and prepare delicious food with simple ingredients. Additionally you will learn how to properly ration and maintain a balance diet on your next outdoor adventure.
- Custom Clinic reservations must be made via the form below at least 2 weeks prior to the desired clinic date.
- The person who makes the reservation (group leader) must be present on the day of the course. If, for an unexpected circumstance, the group leader cannot attend on the day of the course, they must contact Southern Adventures before programming to appoint a new leader and give contact information.
- The group must arrive in the Southern Adventures Center on time. Your confirmation email details what time we expect ALL of your participants to be present. It’s a good idea to instruct your group to arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of programming. There will be a 10-minute grace period after which no one will be admitted to participate in programming. Programs will be canceled if less than 4 participants haven’t arrived by 10 minutes past the program time. Late participants will not be allowed to participate in programming.
- If you find out group members will be late to programming, the group leader must contact Southern Adventures to request a program time change at least 2 days in advance. This is a request and we will do our best to accommodate your request. Example: you find out that 4 people won’t be able to attend a 12:00pm program until 12:30pm. You call Southern Adventures 2 days in advance to request that the time is changed to 12:30pm.
- Your reservation will be confirmed via an email to the address provided. If we are unavailable on the requested date(s) and time(s), we contact you regarding other dates/times.
Submit an Online Reservation Form
Last updated: 8/19/2019